1. Name, Location, and professional title or occupation
Hailey Madej, Dead Bird Brewing Co., Brewer’s Hill, Milwaukee,
2. What local business/businesses have you done design work for?
Dead Bird Brewing Co.
3. What was the inspiration for the design(s)?
For the Dead Bird Brewing Co. Taproom Mural, I drew inspiration from the Milwaukee area, and the many beers produced by Dead Bird Brewing (Wine Thief, Devil Monkey, Muscleman, etc.). The color palette was inspired by the Milwaukee flag colors (blue, yellow and gold) and Dead Bird red.
I designed a belgium glass inspired by the mural I am painting in the taproom.
4. How do you think this design fits into the community?
The designs are inspired by the community and Milwaukee, local flavor and local craft beer. The company is very committed to local ingredients, partners, artists etc. and also committed to sustainability.
I am also proud to add that Dead Bird Brewing is being nominated for the 2020 Mayor’s Design Awards, specifically for neighborhood impact. (see more here: https://city.milwaukee.gov/MayorsDesignAwards?fbclid=IwAR0VBaCPuTehjrntmTU4at4VJ_gPRtTReWf2m4qtPN1IK3-C3VnqAY9T9VA#.XYQUmCVOnDs)
5. How does this design set itself apart from other local businesses?
DBBCo. Has many characters/icons associated with each beer which gives me a lot to work with for the mural and other designs. All of the beers are certified vegan, and we even have gluten free options. I think DBBCo. Aims to be a more inclusive brewing co. compared to others in the area.
6. Do you think identity design has anything to do with the popularity/success of the business, and why?
Absolutely. I think that our online presence affects the business greatly, and the peculiar Name/Logo draws people in. We also advertise a lot to the Vegan community in Milwaukee, who get excited about all of our vegan food and beer!